Mississippi Attorney and State Senator
W. Briggs Hopson III is an accomplished attorney and state senator based in Vicksburg, Mississippi. He represents several governmental entities (school districts and hospital) and businesses in the region in insurance defense, administrative law, education law, health care law, and other matters.
He currently serves as a Mississippi State Senator representing Warren, Issaquena, Yazoo,and Madison Counties. A former President of the Mississippi Bar, he’s been widely recognized for his legal expertise and leadership.
Background & Education
Briggs graduated University of Mississippi School of Law in 1990 and is licensed to practice in Mississippi and Louisiana. Having initially practiced in New Orleans and the Mississippi Gulf Coast for several years, he returned to his hometown of Vicksburg where he established a strong litigation practice.
In addition to serving as a Mississippi State Senator and President of the Mississippi Bar, Briggs has served and participated in numerous professional associations.
A few of the roles and organizations Briggs has served in:
- Mississippi State Senator
- Appropriations Chair
- Judiciary “A” Committee Past Chair
- Energy Committee Past Chair
- Public Health and Welfare Committee Past Vice-Chair
- Past President of the Mississippi Bar
- Uniform Law Commissioner
- National Conference of State Legislatures: Law and Justice Committee Past Co-Chair
- American Bar Association, Fellow
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- Mississippi Bar Fellow
- Former Adjunct Law Professor
- Martindale-Hubbell “AV Preeminent” Rating
- Mid-South Super Lawyer – Business Litigation
- Elite Lawyer of the South
- Mississippi Top 50 Most Influential People – 2020, 2022
Some of the organizations Briggs has served in:
- United Way: Past Chair of Board of Directors; Campaign Chair; Board of Directors
- American Heart Association: Past FundRaising Chair
- Good Shepherd Community Center: Past Chair of Board of Directors
- Crawford Street United Methodist Church: Lay Leader; Past Administrative Board Chair