The firm, established in 1866, is one of the most respected law firms in Mississippi. The firm began in 1866 under the name Pittman & Pittman. Successor firms included Hirsh, Dent & Landau; and Dent, Ward & Martin.
In 1990, a successor to the Dent, Ward & Martin firm merged with the law firm of Teller, Chaney & Derivaux, which had been founded in 1930 as Vollor & Teller, and later became Vollor, Teller & Biedenharn. The merged firm became Teller, Martin, Chaney & Hassell, and was then Teller, Chaney, Hassell & Hopson.
Now, the present firm bears the name Teller, Hassell & Hopson, LLP, after M. James Chaney, Jr., left to fill the vacant seat of Ninth District Circuit Court Judge in June 2009.